So you want a scare or ten? Got a Netflix account? Here we go!
1) 'Insidious'. I love this movie, and it still terrifies me to this day. The creepy old lady, baby monitor bit, and that damn music! Eurgh! If you want chills, I suggest a viewing. A young boy is trapped in a dreamworld, lured out by souls wanting to inhabit his body....
2) 'Stake Land'. Martin was a normal teenage boy before the country collapsed in an empty pit of economic and political disaster. A vampire epidemic has swept across what is left of the nation's abandoned towns... Entertaining, scary, and addictive. A good one for vampire lovers!
3) 'The Den'. This one plays on realism. I have long distance relatives so personally Skype every week. This movie is filmed entirely as if from inside the laptop. No supernatural or paranormal, just a plain old stalker. Yet, despite the simplicity, the creeps in this are insane. Personally, I loved it.
4) 'Oculus'. A very strange mirror that has supernatural, evil powers. Need I say more? Scary, with some gross and tense scenes!
5) 'Dark Skies'. Messed up, haunting and fantastic! Strange things start to happen in a house, after further investigation they discover something is very wrong...Not the typical haunted house routine, far from it!
6) 'VHS'. Original, gory, realistic, and petrifying. A collection of short horror movies all wrapped up into one. I feel this movie gave the sub-genre within horror the spotlight it needed. While some of these type movies can fail miserably, others can be brilliant. Which this one was. You have everything from a night on the town gone wrong, to a couple of robbers discovering something strange about the house they are robbing. Filming styles vary, which keeps it interesting, and believable.
7) 'Dead Silence'. Do dolls and old ladies just plain freak you out? Then this is the horror movie for you. Guaranteed chills all around. A ventriloquist receives awful treatment years ago, but is back, and she isn't happy.
8) 'Devil'. I get chills just thinking of this one. A group of people end up trapped in an elevator. I am claustrophobic, so I was already nervous. Then terror ensues. The music is epic, with a talented bunch of actors.
9) 'Paranormal Activity'. Although often a controversial topic, a love or hate it deal, I love Paranormal Activity. Genuinely creepy, filmed in P.O.V with very low-key acting that makes the actors seem like real people and not actors at all. The tension and suspense is excellently done, so much so when you hear a tiny sound you freak out! A couple experience a haunting, but there is more to it than a basic haunting....
10) 'Haunting In Connecticut'. New house. Spooky history. Strange occurrences. Sounds cliche, right? Nope, this stands out from the crowd. By the history being both terrifying and intriguing.
Love horror movies, and generally all things horror? Want a FREE bestselling, award-winning collection of short horror stories? Then subscribe to my free monthly horror newsletter!
Can't wait that long?
Check out 'Nightmare Fuel, The Ultimate Collection Of Short Horror Tales'. A bestseller in three categories, featuring award-winning tales.
Only 99 cents / 99 pence!
Add to your Goodreads:
To keep up to date follow
Facebook: Wesley Thomas Horror Author
Bestselling horror author, marketer, blogger, reviewer, business owner, freelance writer.